In this episode of the podcast I cover lay-off and short-time working as possible options for employers in uncertain times.
In this episode I will cover:
- What is lay-off and short-time working?
- In what circumstances can you use lay-off and/or short-time working.
- What guarantee pay is.
- When an employee can apply for a redundancy payment.
- The consequences of laying someone off or putting them on short-time working if you have no contractual right to do so and no agreement in place.
- Some options to consider.
- Why it is important to communicate with staff.
- Why it is important to plan ahead now.
- Check your employee contracts.
- Note what terms employees have regarding hours, notice and pay.
- Consider where you can make quick cut backs if you need to.
- Consult with staff about possible options in the event of a downturn in work or if you need to close the workplace.
- Check your insurance policy.
- Review your business continuity plan.
- Understand your numbers, for example how many months can you pay the wage bill for? total operating costs? break even amount?
- Seek advice at the earliest opportunity, the investment in good quality advice will save you money in the long run.
Please do leave your thoughts on this issue in the comments section below. Please ensure that any comments are respectful to all views and opinions.
As part of our HR Harbour annual subscription service for employers we provide guidance and training for employers, supervisors and managers. If you would like to know more about the HR Harbour Service and how you can get unlimited support from as little as £198 per month please contact me for a no obligation discussion – [email protected] or you can find full details here: HR Harbour
Don’t forget you can contact us by telephone 01983 897003, 01722 653001 or 023 8098 2006
Would you like advice about your situation?
Appointments are available on the telephone or via Skype throughout the UK.
Alternatively we offer face to face appointments on the Isle of Wight, Salisbury, Eastleigh, Southampton, Fareham, Portsmouth, Winchester and surrounding areas in Hampshire.
The information contained in this Podcast and post is provided for guidance and is a snapshot of the law at the time. It is provided for your information only and should not be used as a substitute for obtaining legal advice that it specific to your particular circumstances.
The guidance should not be relied upon in any decision making process. It is strongly recommended that you seek advice before taking action.
Solicitors Isle of Wight | Solicitors Salisbury | Solicitors Eastleigh | Solicitors Portsmouth
HR Isle of Wight | HR Salisbury | HR Eastleigh |HR Portsmouth